BREAST IMPLANT/AUGMENTATION PROCEDURE OVERVIEW
Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation?
One or more of the following feelings or conditions may indicate that you are a good candidate for breast augmentation:
· you are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small
· clothes that fit well around your hips are often too large at the bust line
· you feel self-conscious wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting top
· your breasts have become smaller or lost their firmness after having children
· weight loss has changed the size and shape of your breasts
· one of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other
Breast augmentation using breast implants can give a woman a more proportional shape and may improve their self-esteem. Women may choose to undergo breast augmentation surgery for a variety of reasons including changes in breast size and shape following pregnancy, weight loss, age or they feel their breasts have always been underdeveloped or unequal in size. Whatever your personal reasons, breast augmentation surgery is the most popular way to improve breast shape and size, restoring self-esteem and that youthful appearance.
It all starts with an effective evaluation and consultation!
In evaluating you for breast augmentation surgery, Dr. Dedo will conduct a routine and painless examination of your body structure, the size, shape and position of your breasts, the underlying muscle structure, skin thickness, texture, and skin elasticity. Combing this information with the desired results you share with the doctor, a personalized treatment plan will be developed just for you. Dr. Dedo will explain the surgical technique and implant type that he feels is best for you that will produce the results you desire at the lowest risk.
As part of the consultation process Dr. Dedo may choose to utilize a state of the art Computer Imaging system to simulate your anticipated results and to ensure clear expectations are established upfront. Combined with providing you ample time to discuss your thoughts, concerns and aesthetic goals, Dr. Dedo will develop and share with you a recommended treatment plan personalized specifically for you. Our entire expert staff provides caring attention and genuine concern for your well-being. We are committed to helping you make the best decisions possible. Call us today to schedule your free consultation (866) 307-1032.
BREAST IMPLANTS CONSIDERATIONS AND OPTIONS
There are many considerations and options regarding breast augmentation surgery, each of which you will want to discuss during your consultation with Dr. Dedo. The first decision many women are faced with, once they know they want to have breast enlargement is:
· What size Breasts do I really want?
· The number one “wish” we have heard from ladies who have had breast augmentation surgery “I wish I had gone just a little bit bigger.” In fact, survey results indicate approximately 40% of women wish they had implants at least on size larger.
WHICH AUGMENTATION SURGICAL PROCEDURE IS BEST FOR ME?
The popularity of breast augmentation procedures and surgeons never ending quest to deliver the best possible results, a large number of surgical procedures have been developed. What is important is to select the surgical procedure that is right for you and will deliver the results you desire.
Should the implants be placed above the muscle or below the muscle? In both cases the implant is behind the mammary glands and your existing breast tissue. The difference is that sometimes the implant is placed on top of the Pectoralis Major chest muscle, and other times it is placed behind it. Your individual body type, current amount of existing breast tissue and the look you desire will help you determine which position is best for you:
1. If you have very little breast tissue… placing the implant behind the muscle may be the best option as more of the implant will be covered by muscle creating a more natural look and feel. With limited natural breast tissue to cover the implant the muscle covering the implant will reduce the appearance of wrinkles and provides smooth transitions between natural tissue and the implant.
2. If you have a limited amount of natural breast tissue… (approximately 3 cm or greater) the procedure that is best for you is influenced by your lifestyle. If you lead an active lifestyle, including regular exercise, placing the implant on top of the muscle will prevent the implant from being displaced from its ideal position by the movement of chest muscle during workouts and other vigorous activities. If you do not live an active lifestyle then placing the implant behind the muscle may produce the ideal results for you.
3. If you have more breast tissue which may have sagged or drooped… … placing the implant on top of the muscle is likely the best option. Placing the implant on top of the muscle allows the natural breast tissue and the implant can move as one, the natural breast tissue will provide sufficient coverage of the implant reducing the appearance of wrinkles and ensuring a smooth transition between the natural tissue and the implant.
WHAT TYPE OF BREAST IMPLANT IS RIGHT FOR ME
Breast implants can be smooth or textured, saline or silicone, and round or anatomical (“tear-drop” shape). Each style of implant has been designed to produce a slightly different result. To help you understand which style may be best for you a listing of the Pros and Cons of each style is shown below:
|Smooth Breast Implants vs. Textured Breast Implants|
|Smooth Breast Implants
(+) PROS – As a rule, regardless of any other consideration, smooth implants wrinkle less than textured implants. Thus, if the implant is going to be placed above the muscle, a smooth implant most likely will be best for you. The exception to this is if you have a previous history of capsular contracture (hardening of the breast tissue around the implant) with saline implants. When this is the case, textured implants may be better indicated for you. This is a consideration you will obviously discuss with Dr. Dedo.(-) CONS- Smooth silicone implants have a higher rate of capsular contracture than do textured silicone implants (Approximately 34% vs. 15% respectively, according to some studies). In terms of saline implants, studies have shown the rate of capsular contracture to be about the same (approximately 8% to 14%, according to some studies) regardless if the saline implant is smooth or textured.
|Textured Breast Implants
(+) PROS – There has historically been a lower rate of capsular contracture for silicone, textured implants than for smooth silicone implants.
(-) CONS – Textured implants generally wrinkle more than smooth implants.
|Saline Breast Implants vs. Silicone Breast Implants|
|Since 1992, when silicone breast implants were taken off of the American market, the vast majority of breast implants have been saline (salt water). This water is exactly the same as you would be given through an I.V. if you were dehydrated and is generally not going to be harmful to the body. Silicone implants have been reintroduced to the American market, however, these implants are only appropriate for patients that meet specific criteria.|
|Saline Breast Implants
(+) PROS – Less perceived risks. No auto-immune disease controversy. Lower rate of capsular contracture than with silicone implants.
(-) CONS – Feel. Saline implants do not have the same consistency as normal breast tissue. Silicone gel implants have a consistency very similar to normal breast tissue.
Silicone Breast Implants
(-) CONS – Perceived and perhaps real risks of adverse reactions to silicone gel by the body. A higher rate of capsular contracture than with saline implants.
|Round Breast Implants vs. Anatomical Breast Implants|
|Round Breast Implants
(+) PROS- Round implants consistently provide the most natural look and feel with the least potential complications. The orientation of implant during the procedure is not critical.(-) CONS- None
|Anatomical (tear-drop) Breast Implants
(+) PROS- Anatomical implants were developed to provide a contour more like the natural shape of the breast itself. (-) CONS – The implant must be textured so it will adhere to the breast tissue, preventing the implant from rotating in the body. This concern with “directional orientation” results from the fact that if the implant does rotate, the upper portion of it could end up inappropriately positioned outward or inward. Loss of orientation of the implant over time may require a revision procedure to correct the issue.
|Standard Breast Implants vs. High Profile Breast Implants|
|Introduced to the market in Fall, 2001, the High Profile (HP) implant claims to give the highest projection per base width, within the US market. It is available in both Saline and Silicone-filled and Textured and Smooth versions. (+) PROS – The High Profile implant has the same projection height as an implant that is a fraction of the volume of a Round implant. In a nutshell, if placed side by side, a High Profile implant will extend off of the breast plate further than a similar volume and base diameter Round implant would. Also, a Smooth Saline High Profile implant is designed to resist wrinkling compared to a similar Round Smooth Saline implant.
(-) CONS – Saline High Profile implants have an anterior diaphragm valve that limits the implant to just a single fill performed at the time of the implant procedure.
Important decisions – many options
As you have likely come to realize, making the decision to have a breast augmentation procedure is just the beginning. Many important decisions are required to ensure the results you desire are achieved; a free consultation with Dr. Dedo has been designed to make this as simple and reassuring as possible. There will be plenty of time to answer your questions and address all of your concerns.